Franchising Opportunities

The Tanning Experts

In a world where appearances count, a healthy-looking tan is an essential part of a positive self-image for many people. The desire to not only look good, but to feel good about your appearance has created the basis for the $8 billion-per-year indoor tanning industry. Thought to be a business targeting teenage girls, the core customer of the industry is made up of women 30 plus with a 25% male demographic make-up.

With a 30-year track of success, we’ve listened and learned what our members want. Our founders developed the idea of tanning superstores, salons consisting of large retail spaces, located in class A shopping centers, with 20-25 tanning beds. With this approach, Palm Beach Tan made the strategic decision to create clean, sophisticated store environments offering multiple levels of the most technologically advanced sunbed tanning equipment in the world, along with Mystic Tan® Spray Tanning Systems and the Versa Spa Professional Skin Care Systems.

Our well-trained, professional staff guides customers to make the right choices to achieve the perfect color by learning their specific tanning goals, recommending the appropriate tanning program for their skin type, and by introducing them to our “golden rules of tanning”. Palm Beach Tan offers customers the convenience of monthly sunbed or spray tanning memberships with no contracts or commitments. Backed with our industry exclusive fully automated tanning Premier Rewards® program, all of our Premier memberships reward member loyalty with free upgrades, discounts, cash credits and more.

In 2003, Donald Zale, former President & CEO of Zales Jewelers, bought Palm Beach Tan’s first franchise. His well-known business philosophy: do whatever it takes to attract and retain customers.¹ A lucrative, high-margin business, the current indoor tanning industry is comparable to the independently run, single-unit operators of video rental stores two decades ago. "The top five tanning chains in the country have only 5% of the market, leaving 95% as independently owned salons," said Diane Lucas, a former BLOCKBUSTER executive and Palm Beach Tan’s President and COO. "There is phenomenal consolidation opportunity in the indoor tanning segment, and we continue to offer independent salon owners and quality regional chains the advantages of the most well-operated brand in the industry when they choose to convert their salons to Palm Beach Tan."

1 Zale heats up tanning business. Franchise Times. November/December 2005.

2 Touch of Color: Demand for a year-round bronze gives tanning salons their moment in the sun. Shopping Centers Today: The Magazine for the Retail Real Estate Industry. December 2005.

ASA, IFA, Franchising Business Review logos