Join Us. Tan Wisely®
Achieve the perfect sunbed color
The sun. It’s the fundamental ingredient for all life forms. Through its light, warmth and radiant energy, the sun provides the basis for all life on our planet. It stimulates the mind and the soul. It provides a sense of inner peace and well-being that both comforts and energizes. When the sun is shining, spirits are lifted and rejuvenated.
How Do We Tan?
The sun creates UV light, which is responsible for tanning and is divided into 2 categories: UVA or UVB.
UVA’s main role in the tanning process is oxidizing melanin, the browning pigment that tans the skin. UVB triggers melanin production in the skin. Both types of UV rays play a significant role and are needed for a balanced tanning process.
Tan Fact: Our state-of-the-art tanning equipment is designed to replicate the UVA and UVB produced by the sun, while allowing you to control your exposure.
Tan a Shade Smarter
Follow the recommended exposure schedule for your skin type. If you’re unsure or have questions regarding your skin type, consult with your certified Palm Beach Tan consultant, who will advise you on the proper procedures.
Golden Rules of Tanning
Your guide to achieving the perfect sunbed color.
>Know Your Skin Type
- Follow the recommended exposure schedule for your skin type.
- View Skin Chart
>Never Rush a Tan
- Never try to hurry a tan, and always consult your salon’s tanning professional.
- Never tan more than once a day.
- Retain your desired color by tanning 1–3 times a week, depending on the level of the bed.
- Try a Cocktail Tan as an alternative to your weekly regimen.
>Apply Skincare Products
- Use lotions before and after tanning to keep an attractive tan looking better longer.
- Use an indoor tanning lotion to accelerate and maximize the appearance of your tan.
- Choose from an array of tanning skin care products that are designed to work with any skin type and tanning level.
>Wear Protective Goggles
- Always wear protective eye goggles when tanning.
As a key element of our Tan Wisely initiative, Palm Beach Tan follows the FDA's recommendation to allow 24 hours between sunbed sessions. The skin needs 24 hours to process and build color after a tanning session. Allowing 24 hours between sessions actually maximizes color development.
|Skin Reaction Examples||Skin Type|
|1||Tans little or not at allBurns easily and severely, then peels.||People most often with fair skin, blue eyes, freckles, white unexposed skin.|
|2||Usually burns easily and severely(Painful burn); Tans minimally and lightly; also peels.||People with fair skin, blue or hazel eyes, blond or red hair, white unexposed skin.|
|3||Burns moderatelyGains average tan.||Average Caucasian, white unexposed skin.|
|4||Burns minimallyTans easily and above average with each exposure.||People with light brown skin, dark brown hair, dark eyes, white or light brown unexposed skin.
(Asians, Hispanics and Mediterraneans)
|5||Rarely BurnsTans easily and substantially.||Brown-skinned people, brown unexposed skin.
(East Indians, Hispanics, etc.)
|6||Tans profusely and never burns||People with black skin. (Africans and African Americans, Australians and South Indian Aborigines)|
|*Fitzpatrick Classification Scale - Thomas Fitzpatrick, MD|