Sunbed Tanning Tips
Whether you’re a tanning newbie or just need a refresher on how to get the most out of your tan, you’re in the right place. We have assembled 11 essential tanning bed tips for you. First (if you haven’t already), talk with the Tanning Experts® to determine your tanning skin type. Then we can help you with selecting the right sunbed, skin care products, session times and schedules.
Prep Your Skin
1. It’s best to shower, shave and exfoliate a day or two before your tanning session. Exfoliating helps prepare your skin before you tan. If you don’t have time for a deep exfoliation, using a loofah, brush or bath puff during shower time works just fine.
2. Apply a non-oil-based light moisturizer right after you shower or bathe.
Check Your Prescriptions
3. Check the side effects of prescription medications. Some medications can increase skin sensitivity when exposed to UV rays.
What to Wear
4. Apply a lip balm with SPF protection. Many PBT locations carry lip balm with SPF. Check your salon for availability.
5. Remove your makeup, jewelry and avoid wearing heavy perfumes or essential oils.
Tan Fact: Many tanners choose to combine sunless spray tanning with sunbed tanning—a method called cocktail tanning.
Learn how cocktail tanning helps produce a deeper, darker tan.
The Naked Truth
6. Once you’re set up with a private and secure tanning room, disrobe to your level of comfort. If you choose to be nude, be sure to cover areas not typically exposed to the sun.
Use These Tanning Lotion Tips
7. Apply indoor tanning lotion evenly in a circular motion and over all areas of the body. Using the right skin care products is the best way to extend the life of your tan. PBT has bronzers and intensifiers specially formulated for indoor tanning. Note that lotions not made for indoor tanning can cause damage to tanning beds and don’t help develop your tan.
Protect Those Peepers
8. We want you to fully enjoy how good you look after tanning. That’s why we (politely) insist that you sport protective eyewear. After all, it’s required by law since UV rays can be harmful to eyes. We’re happy to provide protective goggles for all our clients.
Wait For It . . .
9. All PBT locations have a 24-hour tanning policy. Because the tanning process doesn’t stop when you leave the sunbed, your skin needs downtime to properly develop color. As recommended by the FDA, a 24-hour resting period between sessions will allow you to maximize your color and skin care.
Keep Your Glow Longer
10. Using a tanning extender is the best way to ensure long-lasting results. PBT has an array of sunbed tanning products that hydrate skin and help keep you golden longer.
11. Maintain your perfect shade by tanning 1-3 times a week. Consult with the Tanning Experts® for a personalized tan retention plan.