Spray Tanning Tips
Who better to guide you through spray tanning than the Tanning Experts®? Here, you’ll find spray tan tips and advice that’ll have you glowing from head to toe. But, first, talk with a PBT expert about the perfect tan plan tailored just for you.
Prep Your Skin
1. For best results, exfoliate before your session and focus on the driest areas — elbows, knees, hands, feet and the backs of your ankles. PBT offers a wide array of exfoliating products like this pre-session exfoliant. Try to avoid waxing or other spa treatments the day of your spray tan.
2. The day of your spray tan, don’t use moisturizers unless they are specifically formulated for sunless tanning (i.e., oil-free).
What to Wear
3. Avoid wearing perfumes, deodorant or makeup that can create a barrier for absorption. Avoid wearing tight clothing and shoes such as boots, socks or tights, which may rub off some of the spray tan and cause uneven results.
4. Wear dark, loose-fitting clothes. If possible, wear nail polish. Even if your nail polish is clear coat, it will help protect your nails from discoloration.
Tan Fact: Your spray tan develops in 4-6 hours and can last up to 7 days!
The Naked Truth
5. Once you’re set up in one of our private and secure tanning room, disrobe to your level of comfort. If you choose not to spray tan nude, wear a swimsuit or undergarment that you don’t mind possibly staining. Be sure to remove all jewelry and wear a protective hair cap. PBT also supplies disposable undergarments, if preferred.
Prep & Protect
6. Barrier cream is an important element for prepping your spray tan. Apply a light layer of the cream in areas where skin tends to be rougher — hands, fingers, feet, toes and the sides of your feet. Don’t forget to apply to your cuticles, as well. These areas tend to soak up more spray solution. For your protection and convenience, PBT provides hair caps, protective eyewear, nose filters, lip balm and cotton balls.
Wait for It . . .
7. Avoid the following for the defined time period: * Bathing or swimming: At least 4 hours. * Activities that make you sweat heavily: At least 4 hours. * Chlorine: Swimming in chlorinated pools will quickly break down your spray tan. We suggest avoiding entirely, if possible.
Keep Your Glow Longer
8. Moisturize daily with a post-sunless product like one of these. Beware: Drugstore lotions may contain oils and other ingredients that can shorten the life of your spray tan.
9. Avoid body washes that contain harsh soaps, exfoliants or oils. These ingredients can also shorten the life of your tan. We recommend using soaps that are especially formulated to extend the life of your tan — like this daily body wash.
10. Avoid using pore strips, bandages and exfoliants (until you’re ready to spray again).
If you follow these tips before, during and after spray tanning, your tan can last up to 7 days.